Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zui Quan and us!

3 posters

Go down

Zui Quan and us! Empty Zui Quan and us!

Post  Sean Wang the Drunken Mas Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 pm

hello fellow forum goers. im fairly new to this whole thing o jargen and wish i could post this in a less spammy manner but i digress. i just wanted to know if anyone aside myself practiced the art of Zui Qaun. if so! get back to me i have questions that need answering

Sean Wang the Drunken Mas

http://myspace.com/morrowend

Back to top Go down

Zui Quan and us! Empty Re: Zui Quan and us!

Post  Eryn Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am

Hi Sean, nice to have you here. I have practiced zuijiuquan before, but don't remember some parts of the form I learned. Only remember bits and pieces, but can still do the acrobatic maneuvers like breakfalls, backbends, aerials, etc. It's a tough style, athletically speaking. Feel free to ask questions and chip-in whatever is on your mind--we're always up for a good discussion on anything martial arts. Nice to meet you Sean!
Eryn
Eryn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wang the Drunken Mas Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 am

thanks! it is a hard style, im doing traditional so the contempary version ill wait for later. its becoming almost a joke though in the wushu world. im really getting tired of it no longer being considered an actual martial art. now its just a dance or a warm up technique...sigh i miss the good ol 90s when jackie chan made everyone think they could do it. anywho i really just wanted to know how to do excerises that would improve my backs strength im fairly new to this whole thing and my body isnt nearly as fit as what it should be for these styles...sigh

Sean Wang the Drunken Mas

http://myspace.com/morrowend

Back to top Go down

Post  Eryn Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Drunken boxing requires an immense amount of flexibility, and the strength to hold difficult stances. I would recommend starting on a regular stretching regimen, accompanied by a weighted calisthenics routine. Contemporary wushu doesn't emphasize hard calisthenics quite as much as old school traditional wushu does, so if you're opting for the older tradition then intense weightlifting is a must. I will eventually post some videos here of exercises that I currently do, and ones that I've done in the past. Most of them don't require any fancy equipment, just your bodyweight. Although, you might invest some money into getting a weightvest and ankleweights to supplement the calisthenics; you'll get incredibly strong with those included.

I added some youtube videos of other people around the net doing various weight exercises in the videos section of this forum, hopefully they still work. You might check those out.

Since the back is divided into upper and lower regions, you have to train both separately. Good upper back exercises would be wide grip pull-ups, handstand push-ups, and bent-over dumbbell rows. Good lower back exercises would be back raises (either with a bench or on the floor), reverse leg raises (lie on stomach, raise both legs as high as possible), and deadlifts (be careful with those). Take any of these exercises slow, and listen to what your body tells you.
Eryn
Eryn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteape Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 am

It is called ZuJiquan with a J in there just FYI. I do not practice or teach this myself.

Whiteape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down