Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tong Bei Quan

3 posters

Go down

Tong Bei Quan Empty Tong Bei Quan

Post  wuxia_warrior Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:49 pm

wuxia_warrior

Back to top Go down

Tong Bei Quan Empty Re: Tong Bei Quan

Post  Whiteape Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Nice! This is of course shaolin tongbei and not related to tongbei like white ape and other branches. They just happen to share the name. Keep 'em coming.

Whiteape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wuxia_warrior Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:29 am

So I know Shaolin has adopted some styles that weren't their own originally and do their version of it (like Baji), but this Tong Bei is completely different from the white ape style? Is it just a naming coincidence? What is the origin of the white ape style of tongbei?

wuxia_warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteape Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:04 am

wuxia_warrior wrote:So I know Shaolin has adopted some styles that weren't their own originally and do their version of it (like Baji), but this Tong Bei is completely different from the white ape style? Is it just a naming coincidence? What is the origin of the white ape style of tongbei?

Good question and I think the short answer is that no one knows for sure. There is so much debate about the origins of wushu and tongbei seems to be central in the mix of it. What I can be pretty sure about is that the principle of tongbei is old and probably at the root of both of these. If there is a distinct common origin between the styles though, I would have to assume that it is so distant as to be practically unrelated at this point based on the methods employed and the appearance of the forms. I have read that tongbei existed first as a method of exercise and you can readily see how many traditions use the principle in their drills. The loose whipping of the arms is present in so many northern styles. Anyway, if it really intrigues you I would recommend researching it and forming your own opinions on the matter. The practice is of course more important, but the history is interesting. There are many authorities with contrasting stories.

Whiteape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:06 am

The sequence from about :40 to :50 is great. I love that little looping kick thing he does. It looks like it would be a good trip or leg lock.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down