Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guard Position

3 posters

Go down

Guard Position Empty Guard Position

Post  wuxia_warrior Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:38 am

A good guard position is something I'm still struggling to be successful with. It used to be that I never kept my arms up to guard the face and was always yelled for not doing so. The last time I sparred with Chris, the thing he pointed out to me was that I had my guard too high and wasn't covering my torso very well. It's taken me years to guard my face, now that I do, it's too high? He got in some torso punches, but honestly I didn't pay them much mind because I can take a pretty solid hit down there (unlike my face).

So...what IS a good guard? I've decided a wedge-type position (like I discussed with Blake last time) works better for me than having both forearms vertical in front of me (like a boxer). But how do you cover upper and middle gate? One high and one low (a la the quintessential bagua position)?

I've taken to using a Lenny when someone tries to make a run at me: stop them with the kick and block/come down like an avalanche with the arm. It's been the most effective thing I've tried so far.

wuxia_warrior

Back to top Go down

Guard Position Empty Re: Guard Position

Post  Eryn Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am

To me, a good guard position would consist of a typical boxer's arm/hand position: both arms in front, elbows protecting ribcage, fists at chin level. Also, usually hold the jabbing hand slightly higher than the power hand.

In a fight--even a sparring situation--you'll have to move in and out between positions, forcing you to adapt to many different defensive and offensive positions. There isn't really an "ideal" defensive or offensive position because all fighting is about adapting to what the opponent does. Counter-offense is the name of the game. With that said, I would still say that a typical boxing stance might be best, at least by today's standards of fighting. Personally, I find the boxing stance to be the most balanced and versatile of all fighting stances. Also, a wrestling stance is pretty good, albeit a little risky because the head is exposed.

Here's a link to a diagram showing a good boxing stance: http://www.realcontactfighter.com/images/tecwriteups/BoxingRCF.gif

A picture of a traditional wrestler's stance: http://www.easthighwrestling.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/anthony-garcia-stance.jpg
Eryn
Eryn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Courtney M Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:32 am

Hey Eryn Ive actually been dying to come back and train with you..but as you may already know mon and weds arent very good for me. Neither are Tues and Thurs because i have night classes those days. BUT if you do consider Saturday as a day and decide to pick it up again let me know. Ill see if i can work up some extra funds to rejoin you guys if if you go through with it! Smile
Courtney M
Courtney M

Back to top Go down

Post  Eryn Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Definitely Courtney, I'll let you know when the Saturday classes start. Keep checking this board because I'll post the notice here, but I'll also send you an email. See you soon.
Eryn
Eryn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Courtney M Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:14 am

Beautiful! Sounds good.
Courtney M
Courtney M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content